Items on the To-Do List at Start of Week

Untitled design-1

I have a lot of lists going all the time, but most weeks on either Sunday or Monday I try to make a master list that helps me see the week in my head. There will be all kinds of things listed, but within the list there are a few categories:

• Specifics that need done today, maybe tomorrow: I always have my best understanding of what I’m trying to get done today, with a few bigger things that might take till the next day. Fill in as many specifics as possible.
  • An outline of big events and needs for all the other days of the week: If I have appointments, or evening engagements, or meetings with friends during the week, those make the list because they will need to be on my mind as I flesh out better lists all week.
  • Concerns: Sometimes, I put things on my to-do list to remind me to do things like “be brave” when boldness is necessary to the tasks I’ve got, or “find rest” when I’m in the middle of a cold and still trying to get things done. Similarly, I flag tasks that I am dreading, because if I get those done quickly, it will really motivate me for the rest of the day.
  • Aspirational goals: I don’t just put one achievable list together; it makes Husband crazy when he sees all the things I hope to get done each day, because he thinks I cannot possibly do it and I’ll be disappointed or overwhelmed. He’s not totally wrong, but I also think life is too short to aim small, and I’m happy to have a few things undone at the end of the week if I still feel like I stretched myself.
  • Rollover goals: Similarly, I bring some hopes and dreams from last week into my new week’s list, where I can get them done and feel even more triumphant because something had been following me around for a while.

How do you organize weekly lists? I am, as you can imagine, pretty messy about it and always interested in learning.

1. posttraditionalkatie September 25, 2017 @ 3:41 pm

I love the idea of going weekly on the to do list. Like you, I tend to place too many items on a daily list, unlike you, I then get frustrated when I don’t accomplish them.

2. teacherturnedmommyblog September 25, 2017 @ 4:04 pm

Right now we have a spreadsheet of all the things we want to do for our new house. Daily/weekly to do things I never keep lists for. I think it would overwhelm me to keep up with it all. hope you find a way that works for you

3. hannahtk September 25, 2017 @ 4:14 pm

Halo kindred list making, absent-minded, brilliant, high-on-life spirit!
    I especially love the “concerns” goals. ” Be brave? Be amazing? You are a genius! Thanks for the follow

4. halulamalula September 25, 2017 @ 7:34 pm

Great ideas- I like the idea of rollover goals, instead of getting stressed about not accomplishing everything in the week, thanks!
    This Mark Twain quote often helps me on my to-do lists:
    “Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.” – it always motivates me to get the difficult things done first and then the rest of the day is better!

5. unexpectedincommonhours September 25, 2017 @ 10:03 pm

I do daily and weekly lists, but I really like your idea of adding “be brave” or “get rest”. I have a friend who writes “veg” on her daily lists, as in “vegetate on the couch for a few minutes each day.” 🙂

6. Eileen Sim September 25, 2017 @ 11:37 pm

I never seem to be able to follow my list because I get way too ambitious. I just have a rough idea (in my head) of what I hope to accomplish for the week.

7. thefirstaidkit September 26, 2017 @ 4:51 am

You should try using mind maps, such as MindJet. I am quite crazy about todo lists too, and this software simply is my salvation, hehe.
    Viele Grüsse!

8. Soul Gifts September 26, 2017 @ 5:52 am

My lists are in my head! Rarely do I write them down.Maybe I should…..sometimes, just sometimes 🙂

9. Ashwini September 27, 2017 @ 3:22 pm

I have a journal/planner that I write in, 7 days a week – writing makes it more doable. But it’s easy to lose track of things that don’t get done when you write. I have a tech version of this list up in Kanbanflow.com (Try it if you haven’t yet) You can move tasks to the daily column and to the ‘Done’ once they’re done. But also easily move them over to another week if you haven’t finished it this week.

10. cathysrealcountrygardencom September 28, 2017 @ 4:16 pm

Don’t make a list.

11. barbsteving September 30, 2017 @ 11:46 pm

I love having a fun planner each year with stickers, colored highlighters, different colored pens, etc. I keep weekly and daily task lists, as well as monthly goals.