Messy Crocheting: Learning Stripes!

I’ve been crocheting since I was 16 and in an extremely boring entrepreneurship class in high school (I don’t think entrepreneurship is boring at all, but the combination of bored students and a teacher who preferred showing us a lot of videos made for a pretty dry class). Since then, I’ve made countless hats, scarves, blankets, mittens, socks, and other fun treasures, but one thing has eluded me: stripes.

The only way I’ve made stripes in my creations was by cutting the yarn and tying on a new color, and that overall weakens the fabric I was creating, so this time I finally found an online tutorial that worked for me, and adapted it for the granny-square pattern I was currently working on. So far, so good!

I’ve been making a lot of baby blankets lately because of my many friends (and my sister-in-law!) getting pregnant, but I’ve really gotten bored of pastels, blue, and pink. Instead, I’ve been seeking really rich greens lately, for boys and girls: they are delicate even when they aren’t really a pastel hue, and children grow so quickly that you cannot help comparing them to other growing things in the world, like the many-colored plants in our gardens. Most new moms don’t complain about a handmade present, so I don’t know that people love it, but I have to imagine that all pink and all blue get quite boring. It also helps to work in greens when you aren’t sure what the gender of the baby will be!

What is your latest challenge if you do some kind of needlework? I find that I’ll make the same kind of blanket over and over if I don’t set goals for myself to try something new, like a zigzag pattern or some cabling. I don’t like working rigidly from patterns, so that limits my abilities, but new stitches are always exciting to me!

1. Gabrielle Pye October 2, 2017 @ 1:29 pm

I’m the same. I get bored making the same things as gifts for expectant mothers in the same pastel shades. I love the dark green you are using and I think it’s great to make something a bit different! X

2. 10centsofdates October 2, 2017 @ 1:50 pm

I have the opposite problem. I try too many new things and then never complete anything.

3. My Way Home Life October 2, 2017 @ 3:41 pm

I love the rich colors. Good choice!

4. thismisscooks October 2, 2017 @ 4:06 pm

I tried to learn crochet a few times and realized that the learning curve on it was just a little steep for me, but you just gave me the idea to knit a baby hat in Hufflepuff colors for my friend’s baby that’s due in February!

5. Sheworethis October 4, 2017 @ 4:44 pm

I have always wanted to crotchet but failed epically. You have me thinking about trying again.

6. budgiesntiels October 9, 2017 @ 2:14 am

i am having a hard time picking out yarn for a pair of gloves and a hat I promised to make for a friend. there are just too many beauiful choices/

7. apinchofcherry October 15, 2017 @ 2:35 am

I have always wanted to learn to crochet, and scarves and blankets would be one my favorite things. I wish I could start learning how to do that one of these days. 🙂

8. Miss Ally October 15, 2017 @ 10:24 am

Your posts are so fun! I’ve been nominated by one of the girls who follow me then I thought it’d be cool to let my readers know about your blog and because of that, I’ve nominated you for the Blog Recognition Award! Here’s the link! https://rightupurally.com/2017/10/15/blog-recognition-award/

9. ftguhome October 17, 2017 @ 5:23 pm

I love to crochet! I am, however, the queen of starting a million projects and only finishing about two of them. One really quick project I love to make is a “baby lovey”. It’s like a half blanket half stuffed animal type of thing. Super quick if you use “granny squares” and turns out into something that looks hard to make!