Travelling Light on Flights – A Cheap Option

4746-557_0

I’m heading out on a trip today, and to save money I got a ticket on a low-cost airline. They call it “low cost,” but what they really mean is “low base price, plus add-ons.” What I do love is that I’ve developed a method for using a personal item sized bag as my entire luggage, and it saves me tons of money on low cost airlines and tons of time getting in and out of the airport.

I cut a few corners, so not everyone will love this method. For instance, I focus on having one or two important outfits (business casual for a conference, for instance) and otherwise wear the same outfit on any days that no one will notice (each of my travel days, and any days I have to explore on my own). Once you realize that on a trip there will be few people to judge you for re-wearing the same jeans, you can survive on a lot fewer clothing. I then have more room for all the socks, underwear, and a pair of pajamas.

I also limit my “fun” packing to one laptop, one cell phone, their chargers, and a single book (for when everything is dead and I cannot charge anything). More than that would make it totally impossible to fit everything in my bag.

This means that when I’m out exploring a city, I can usually bring the whole bag with me and not worry about where I left something. It makes me feel like a light-travelling turtle with everything I need nearby. I’m also less likely, in my silly way, to lose things, and that makes me more capable and ready to handle whatever life throws at me when I do need one of the two or three things I did manage to fit in the bag.

1. Janelle Zimmerman October 11, 2017 @ 11:43 am

Great article! I have been doing this for years and get weird looks when I emerge with a carry on for 2 weeks. We can all learn to live more simply

2. Debs Stott 🌳 Everyday Delights October 11, 2017 @ 12:40 pm

Great ideas for travelling light. I need space for my camera too!

3. tierneycreates October 13, 2017 @ 12:20 am

Yes as I get older I learn to travel with less. I realize I do not need three outfits changes a day, ha!

4. My Way Home Life October 13, 2017 @ 2:28 am

Hmmm…I’ll have to look into this. Do you just google low-cost airlines?

• lauramleavitt October 21, 2017 @ 2:08 pm

I look at Frontier, JetBlue, and Allegiant; nothing comes standard (you can’t pick your own seat without paying extra), but if you can find a cheap flight and take a tiny purse-like bag, it can be a good deal.

5. blissfullycreating October 13, 2017 @ 11:27 am

I use the low cost airlines when flying too! And I even manage to pack light whilst traveling with three kids! It helps that I am usually just going home to my parent’s and therefore know that they have a lot of what I will need for the kids.

6. Sonal Lele October 14, 2017 @ 11:52 pm

Totally minimalistic, I can wear one top and one pant for like a whole year without worrying of what anyone thinks…most people wldnt notice the same outfit worn in many pics either.