First Frost for the Garden

IMG_4625.JPG

There are some telltale signs: I don’t grow pumpkins, but one sign is that there are roasted butternut squash seeds to be had and a pile of unused squashes in my fruit bowl. Another is that the tomato snarl – no longer can simply be called a “vine” – is so hopelessly interwoven that the fruits themselves require surgical excavation. The kale is full of bug-bitten holes, the basil is looking a little piqued…

It’s pretty close to first frost.

October has been a strange and warm month so far for the messy garden, but winter always catches up with us at our latitude. This morning was our first frozen wake-up, and this weekend we’re supposed to get our first snowflakes. I don’t love snow and I really don’t love winter, but there is something unmanageably cozy about first snowfall… I try to make something of it even when I don’t feel particularly “ready for the season.”

I know that this evening I’ll be spending some time ripping the tomato snarl out, hoping to pull any last tomatoes from under the pile of vines. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be trimming back all the perennials and making sure that the blueberries have plenty of pinestraw to last the winter. It’s like putting the garden down for a nap… just a really long one. The physical actions, with cold fingers in garden gloves, help me get used to the idea.

I’ve chosen a place to live where frost is possible for more than 6 months of the year, and so both my gardening and my heart need to be well bundled up for much of the year. The cold is one thing – I prefer summer clothing to piles and layers of parkas – but the darkness is pretty rough too. Lately, though, with waking so early and going to bed at 10 or 11, it is hardly surprising that it doesn’t feel so bad this year.

What do you to do to prepare your garden for winter? What about preparing your own mentality for the shift from summer’s sun to the chilly months?

1. Tammy7711 October 25, 2017 @ 9:57 am

Nice post! Enjoy your winter preparations, well my country doesn’t experience winter, because its tropical! So all year round is sun, sand, sea and palm trees lol! We also have rainy season too as well, we’re currently in that season!

2. blissfullycreating October 25, 2017 @ 12:29 pm

my least favorite thing about winter is how dark it gets; but i always survive. i’m so ready for winter though! i’m over this odd, warm fall.

3. A. JoAnn October 25, 2017 @ 12:44 pm

I will be cutting down the perennials today, too. I love every change of season, it seems revitalizing!

4. flexvegan October 25, 2017 @ 6:55 pm

Yum! Great post! Check out my recipes at https://lentilface.wixsite.com/lentilface & spread the love! 🙂

5. cat9984 October 25, 2017 @ 11:22 pm

I live in Michigan with quite a few trees. So they are most of the mulch. I’m starting moss this year. Theoretically it doesn’t require wintering. We’ll see

6. Cindy Anderson October 26, 2017 @ 1:27 pm

I live in a state that experiences all four seasons with gusto! The changing seasons are what I love about my state. With that being said I must say that even though I enjoy the changing seasons, I am not a fan of the cold temperatures. Winter is pretty boring when it comes to landscape. To add interest to my yard I typically leave the perennials as they are. Their dry but sturdy stems poke above the snow showing promise of spring. 🍁

7. livepositiveblogblog October 28, 2017 @ 3:02 pm

May I ask where you live? I’m in Pembrokeshire, Wales.

• lauramleavitt October 28, 2017 @ 7:29 pm

I live in the Midwest of the United States

• livepositiveblogblog October 28, 2017 @ 7:43 pm

No wonder it’s cold. We get mild but wet winters. Love your blog.

• lauramleavitt October 28, 2017 @ 7:50 pm

Thanks! Yeah, ours aren’t mild usually, and snowfall can vary wildly.