Planning for a Weekend Trip: Questions

IMG_20170930_141925.jpg

We’re off to meet the new nephew this weekend, and I thought a useful thing to share would be how I pack – that is, after all, another kind of list we make, and another kind of planning. While most to-do lists and grocery lists are quite forgiving and we can recover if we forget something, it can be tough if you forget something important on a packing list. Here are some of my essentials:

• Car entertainment and snacks – Because I like to save a dollar or two, I try to make sure we have enough snacks from home to power through cravings on the road and focus on only stopping for full meals. A Gatorade (Husband’s favorite) costs less in a big pack than it does as a one-off during a gasoline stop. I also like to bring something to make the trip time not a total waste: an audiobook, a crocheting project, a set of question cards that can generate an interesting conversation.
  • 1 set of pajamas, and # of nights + 2 sets of day-time clothes – I like to have two sets of clothes more than whatever I technically need, as well as a set of pajamas, on any trip I go on. This time, we’re doing some outdoor exploring and possibly a fancy dinner date, so I have specific guidelines for my extra outfits. Pajamas are also a priority, because I like to think ahead to how warm or cold I anticipate being in the place I’ll be sleeping… my in-laws house is usually on the warm side, so it is good to remember shorts and a tank top.
  • A physical notebook, not just my planner – I like being able to write down things that occur to me during a trip, especially because I often get into a different, more creative headspace when I’m away from home. This can really help me break out of a rut of writing similar things, so I like the opportunity to chronicle my changing outlook.
  • A “go bag” of hygiene items – I hate waking up on the day of a trip and scrounging for my toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant, etc. Instead, I like to have a ready plastic bag with all the things I need in it. Yes, this means I tend to own two of most things, but the travel set doesn’t get used as often and lasts a long time.

What are your essentials on the packing list? What would you be lost without?

1. James Presley November 4, 2017 @ 8:55 am

Are you going to Budapest for the weekend? Just looking at the map. I used to live on the corner of Wesselenyi and Kertesz utca. Or is the map just random? 🙂

• lauramleavitt November 4, 2017 @ 5:30 pm

Map is random, but I sure loved Budapest!!!

• James Presley November 4, 2017 @ 8:14 pm

I lived there for 10 years, loved every minute of it. 🙂

2. Nicola November 4, 2017 @ 2:03 pm

I travel a fair bit , quite often at short notice. I have a ready packed travel bag I can just pick up and go. Contents – Laptop ( fully charged), big camera and two spare batteries, full set of chargers of all my electrics ( phone, watch, cameras laptop and a full bank of plugs as most of my kit is UK and I now live and travel in Europe.) Nightclothes, worst case scenario medications and a copy of my full prescription list. Walking shoes and gear plus 2 days clothes . Toiletries. If I go anywhere for longer – bigger case is needed !

3. brokesingledad November 4, 2017 @ 3:57 pm

I try and pack lightly clothing wise; 3 of everything. One on, one in the ‘wash’ and one spare. Seems to work!

4. shoes15 November 4, 2017 @ 6:13 pm

I like to bring a big scarf or pashmina in case the weather gets chilly, or I need to dress up an outfit, or I just want a little blankie for the car.

5. monohearts November 5, 2017 @ 5:57 am

Besides obvious essentials like clothes, chargers and plugs… I always bring a pair of flip flop! I usually book apartments for my trips and I hate walking around the place with my shoes on or just my socks, who knows how clean the floor is gonna be! 😛

6. ComfortsFashion21 November 5, 2017 @ 11:24 am

Liked the presentation on short visit/trip to nearby places.

7. Nicole-Marie Alvarez November 5, 2017 @ 3:55 pm

I completely agree with you on the feeling-more-creative-away-from-home thing! I don’t know what it is, but it is SO nice to unwind somewhere else. Loved reading this 🙂

8. thefoodandbooklife November 6, 2017 @ 2:17 am

Congratulations on the new nephew! I’ve recently started to crochet and I see on all Facebook groups that people take their crochet projects on car trips with them. I don’t know if I’ll ever be good enough to not look at the stitches while I’m crocheting.