Zipline Adventure and Bravery Practice

1010 (23).JPG

In between snuggling the little baby nephew this weekend, we took a break to go on a zipline adventure in the autumnal leaves. Husband had a gift certificate, and I was nervous going in that I was going to have trouble. I’m not huge on heights, or on losing control in any way… so there was a chance that this wasn’t going to go well.

What I’ve realized, though, is that it is important for me to flex my bravery muscles just like it is important for me to exercise physical muscles to stay in shape. When I haven’t done anything difficult for a while, it gets even harder to be spontaneous and confident. So when given the opportunity to do something scary, but basically safe, I decided to give ziplining a shot.

Let me tell you: ziplining is BEAUTIFUL. There were big mashed-potatoes lumps of clouds in the valleys and the peaks were covered in brilliant foliage on the fall trees. The weather was cool but not cold, and the views were simply perfect. The exhilaration of jumping off a wooden tower into nothing but fog or open air was really memorable; so was the loud slap of hitting the auto-break and slowly sliding into the next tower.

I hope that, when I meet people who are different from me and when I face new complex challenges at work, I’ll find the muscles for bravery already in good working order. If my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are brave enough to be new parents in an uncertain world, and people regularly trust their lives to a big zipline cable in order to get a thrill, I can probably manage the small complications and difficulties in my life.

How have you flexed your bravery muscles lately? Is there a way you can be brave this week?

1. blissfullycreating November 8, 2017 @ 4:50 pm

ziplining is amazing!! i don’t like heights; but i have loved ziplining every time!

2. Cindy Anderson November 8, 2017 @ 7:25 pm

Beautiful scenery. Congratulations on flexing your boundaries. 🙂

3. NanayJournal November 9, 2017 @ 2:23 pm

I’m not a fan of heights myself and am terrified of it! Thanks for sharing your great insights about bravery muscles! It’s very timely especially during this time when a lot of bad things are happening around us. Stay brave and thanks for the honor of your follow!

4. emma November 9, 2017 @ 9:15 pm

This looks incredible! I’d love to do it one day. My bravery muscles have been well and truly flexed by signing up to the London Marathon 2018!

• lauramleavitt November 9, 2017 @ 9:28 pm

That is awesome!

5. Nancymn November 11, 2017 @ 12:28 pm

Thanks for the Like on my blog. I love maps, even in the digital age! It’s an art and a science to create them! A collection of paper maps tell us where we’ve been, after all.

6. Sarah November 11, 2017 @ 2:16 pm

Bravery muscles. I like that. I am having to use them and the safety net. Yes, I’ll put this out on the world wide web. I lost my 45.5hr a week job on Saturday and now the hunt again is terrifying. Gosh you know when you thought you were moving forward and out of the min. wage flock and all of a sudden the bottom is torn out from under you and you fell hard on your ass again…. Yes those bravery muscles and rope for making a safety net are being flexed every damn day. I appreciate your post about being brave. Too often bravery is lumped into trudging and plodding. But bravery muscles are the neat ones. They are the one to take us off for zip lining or walking thru job doors.
    So thank you for your bravery muscles post.
    Cheers!

• lauramleavitt November 11, 2017 @ 5:16 pm

That is so tough; our bravery muscles get tested a ton when job hunts are happening. Best of luck!