Motivation Monday: Clear Your Desk!

img_20171001_1635201658848132.jpg

It is time to start a new week. Many of us here in the States are returning from a modified routine, and maybe from a full-blown vacation. We’ve been off our game, but we are ready to really make things happen for the last week of November and into the holiday season.

There are a few extra pounds on our hips, and the looming spectre of Christmas gifts, cards, parties, and cookies are here, whether Christmas is just a cultural phenomenon to you or a religious holiday. What can we do to make sure the overwhelm stays at bay?

The first thing, for me anyway, is to clean my desk.

I see the desk, both at work and at home, as the state of my brain. If it is full of things, I may be happy and healthy but I am also scattered, trying to do too much. My ideal desk space, like my ideal brain, has one, at most two, items of first importance on it, and everything else is filed away, ready to be accessed when needed.

This means also digging through those desk drawers, getting rid of old notes, receipts, candy wrappers (oh hi, Halloween…) and making sure that that space is available to me for really important things that I’ll want to be able to find without searching through a pile.

The way I calm down and get to work on a clean desk is nothing less than awe inspiring. So even if it just means moving the crazy-person pile of papers to another part of the room for a little while, clear that desk. Also put a half-hour on the schedule to “deal with the crazy-person pile of papers,” but that might not be the top priority upon a return to work, even after a weekend. Instead, the desk itself must be ready, just like we have to be ready, for work to even start on the right foot.

1. Ayunda November 27, 2017 @ 4:08 pm

I actually don’t even have a desk, my bedroom is so small I can only fit a bed and a wardrobe 😀 but I do love cleaning my room on a down day, the results really make a difference!

2. Paolo B. November 27, 2017 @ 6:01 pm

I do the same! It helps me for some reason, just makes you feel a little bit more organized.

3. 3C Style November 28, 2017 @ 1:27 am

This is so true. I do the same before almost each new article I write and the result is magical. It really helps to be more productive at work.

4. livepositiveblogblog November 28, 2017 @ 9:01 am

Tidy desk tidy mind. I love it! Right I’m off to clear the clutter. Thank you. I am doing 2-3 things on desk only and file the rest until later or tomorrow’s task. ❤️👍

5. Cindy Anderson November 28, 2017 @ 8:02 pm

I love a clean desk! Clears my mind. 🙂

6. My Way Home Life November 29, 2017 @ 2:09 am

Such a relief to have a clean desk! I take a couple of nights a month and work into the wee hours to get all those miscellaneous tasks done. Then I feel ready to deal with writing deadlines, etc.

7. Woz December 5, 2017 @ 5:55 pm

“…if it just means moving the crazy-person pile of papers to another part of the room for a little while…” That’s my only mode on this desk. haha I solely believe those Buzzfeed quizzes that tell us we’re all brilliant for our messy desks and unmade beds are solid life advice. Great post!

8. ohiocook December 5, 2017 @ 10:06 pm

Thank you for dropping by my blog.