Monday Motivation: Bad News

IMG_20171213_083803

There is no other way to slice it: I got some bad news last week. I wanted to hear something good, but instead, I found out that something I really wanted is not possible. No details, since I’m sure anyone reading can relate. Add your own bad news in here.

I figure that a new week can mean one of a few things: I can use this week to dwell on the bad news, letting it take away my joy in my work. I can use the new Monday to distract me completely from my troubles and try to drown all of my sadness in busyness. Or I can acknowledge my losses and realize that I am still quite happy with large parts of my life. I will probably do some measure of each of these, since I’m not perfect and I have a… LOT. of emotions.

I think that there are people who can experience loss and negative news without having intense reactions or letting it affect them, but I am realizing more and more that when I do that, my emotions simply come out at inappropriate and strange times later. I’m better off letting myself feel my emotions fully, even if that means an afternoon of napping or a few tears, because afterward I’m always more level-headed and capable of making choices again.

I want to be the kind of person who is motivated to see each Monday as a new possibility, but I don’t want my readers to think that I don’t have a life that can be difficult as well. All the people who inspire me most are people who are productive and important in spite of  great setbacks and sadnesses. Thus, I want to grow into the kind of person who receives bad news but isn’t sunk by that news.

1. John Kraft January 29, 2018 @ 1:57 pm

One day at a time.

2. whenparkspeaks January 29, 2018 @ 2:31 pm

Sometimes you just have to feel, then you can move on. Try not to dwell but give yourself some time to acknowledge your loss and grieve if you have to.

3. sebland January 29, 2018 @ 2:44 pm

It sounds to me like you know yourself well. Bad things happen to good people, but good people learn how to get through them. Good on you!

4. Anna Drake January 29, 2018 @ 2:44 pm

Hang in there.

5. livepositiveblogblog January 29, 2018 @ 4:01 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad news.

6. jackcollier7 January 29, 2018 @ 6:27 pm

Bad news can create crushing misery. Try to live through it. 💔💔💔

7. Ashley Rae January 29, 2018 @ 6:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad news, but I hope things start looking up for you.

8. JoAnn January 31, 2018 @ 3:20 pm

I’m trying to learn that myself, that it’s better just to vent and get it over with than to carry around whatever is bothering me. It’s the pressure cooker effect, the more it builds the worse it gets

9. Bernie January 31, 2018 @ 4:11 pm

It’s not about how many times we get knocked down, rather how many times to we get back up and continue to charge on. Setbacks and disappointments reveal opportunities to do better from this point forward. Keep keepin on 🙂

10. Rebecca January 31, 2018 @ 9:53 pm

Hope you are doing better. Bad news is never easy to absorb. It takes time. Good luck.

11. threedeemee February 6, 2018 @ 12:09 pm

So sorry to hear about your bad news. I find that receiving a “no” to something you had a great de of emotional investment in or huge hopes for involves feeling not just disappointment but also grief. We are in some ways mourning a future that will not happen, the death of a dream. It takes time to work through grief and reset our understanding of the present and what happens next. Be well and be kind to yourself while you process. Best wishes to you.

12. Alicia February 7, 2018 @ 8:10 pm

Thank you for sharing part of your world with us and for being able to motivate others despite the fact that you are too in the middle of fighting your own battles. <3